Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bottled Water Worse Than Cigarettes?

Yeah, I fell for it too. I was channel-surfing on the TV and came across this story on the local news. I thought, Oh, man, maybe its the plastic, or that some water may have been recalled or the found some horrific chemical in bottled water that gives you an extra eyeball?

Nope. Not at all. The story was about how if you drink from those water bottles with the smaller opening, you purse your lips, which, over time, will eventually give you wrinkled lines around your mouth. These lines are known as "Cigarette Lines" from the repeated process of closing the lips around the cigarette while inhaling.

I think the story was designed for maximum impact of life-threatening scare factor rather than to inform or educate. I also thought it was interesting for about a three whole seconds, then it wore off since I don't smoke.

I don't care much for little wrinkles around my mouth, but I am not going to fore-go being properly hydrated to avoid them; seems counter-intuitive. Refusing to drink water would really make you wrinkled, can you imagine?

No comments: