Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Halloween

Jack didn't want to wear his costume that I made. It was a sweatshirt with stuff ainted on the front like a Jack-O-Lantern, Moon and spiderweb. Kate's Mom got some glue-paint at teh craft store and I whipped it together that morning.

We had been trying to get him to dress up for the last month to no avail. I tried everything, from Dragons to Storm Troopers to Tigers and a Bee, but he didn't want any of the costumes.

He ended up just going with a plastic sword we got at the Fair the night before, since it glowed and it was night, he was drawn to it. He caught on pretty quick when people gave him candy, but had to be reminded to say "Trick or Treat" and "Thank You" every house.

He wasn't scared at any houses, even the one with the gravestones on the front yard, spooky music and people in witch costumes, but when we got to the house where the lady was dressed up as a jar of Concord Grape Jelly and her son was a jar of JIF Peanut Butter, he froze. That was the only house with its front lights on, so he could really see who wanted to give candy. He would not go to the door. I tried to explain that she was a jar of jelly and he was peanut butter (which sounds perfectly sane I am sure). I kept thinking, "I'm no even buying this". The kid has good instincts, who knew?

He wasn't buying it, so we headed back to the house and hung with Grandma who was distributing candy to the kids and harassing the teenagers that hadn't dressed up. She made then sing a song or dance for a minute of they didn't bother to wear a costume, but everyone got a treat. She's fair, but tough.

I went as a clown, not the sad kind that you think of as a seral-killer, but the goofy kind that like hijinks, shenanigans and fun. My Mother-in-law chose that costume for me to wear. I think she really sees me as a clown of sorts, I am definitely goofy. My nose wouldn't stay on, but after a beer, I didn't care nearly as much.

There is nothing sadder than a clown with a beer and an attitude. (You think yer better? Eh? Yeah, I wear makeup, so what? I can fit twenty people into may car and juggle crap, what can YOU do? Hey! Check out my shoes, ladies, you know what they say about a man with big feet... What are YOU lookin at?!?)

No comments: