Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fetus Don't Fail Me Now

It started at 1 0'Clock in the morning, Monday. Kate woke me and said she had been having contractions for the last hour, about five minutes apart. They started to get a little more intense and we started counting them; 1:04, 1:09, 1:14. She called her doctor and I became fully awake at that point.

The bags were already packed we just needed to get Jack in the car and drive to the hospital, which is only a few minutes away, down Rt. 50. At 1 o'clock in the morning there are not a lot of drivers out and I kept thinking that I was going to get pulled over going through the City of Fairfax and the policeman would give us an escort to the hospital. Nope, no police to be found along the drive. Kate would have a contraction and I would go over a bump and she would feel it and groan a bit, though.

I kept thinking, "Fetus, Don't Fail me Now!" during the drive that felt like forever but only lasted a few minutes.

When we did get to the Hospital, they had valet service, which I thought was great. I gave them my keys but then Kate got out of the car and he said that this was for Emergency and not pregnant women. I looked over and there were some girls outside crying on a bench and there were four police cars around us. We decided to get back in the car and drive one block down and park in the garage. We walked over and checked in and got Kate a wheelchair.

We got a room down the hall from where Jack was born which was very nice and spacious. Kate's Mom met us there and we got comfortable. The IV was bad because they had a little trouble with it but she got used to it after a few minutes. After more contractions we eventually went with a epidural and she was much better. It was really fast after that. When it was time it took only a few pushes and she made her appearance. The cord was loosely wrapped around her neck, which alarmed me, but the doctor pulled it over and the rest of her popped out. She was purple but after only two minutes she pinked up real good. That was a relief.

It all went about as good as I could expect. Kate is doing well and they were released today to come home. Emma likes sleeping on my chest for some reason. Maybe she is already a Daddy's Girl?

No comments: