Saturday, October 29, 2011

Nats Game

Kate and I were invited to a Nationals game against the Phillies back on August 20. It was one of the best experiences of being at a sporting event I have ever been, besides my first Redskins game at RFK with my Dad when I was a kid.

There was a rain delay for the game but they started late by about two hours. It was fascinating to see the ground crew do their work and roll up the tarp and squeegee away the rain onto the shallow outfield, where there are hidden drains.

We were in a suite that our hosts (Tom and Catherine) had bought in a fund-raiser, so it was catered with all kinds of food, sweets and beer/wine. They really went first class for the whole thing. I kept thinking, "So this is what its like to be rich."

The game wasn't notable until the late innings when the Nats made a run at the lead. It came down to the bottom of the ninth inning, two outs, bases loaded, full count of 3 balls and 2 strikes. Zimmerman hit a walk-off grand-slam home run to win it! It was intense! What. A. Game. That one will go down as really creating an impression on me as far as sporting event trifecta; Great Food, Great Company and a Great Game.

The whole reason we were invited was because I had redone a logo for the Dulles Area Democrats so that it was more "social-media friendly" (circular instead of wide). The logo wasn't even my idea, I just redid it so that it worked better for their specific use. Boy do I love those Democrats, they are very charitable and giving people!


Nationals Park and the big tarp.

No comments: