Friday, February 24, 2012

First Signs of Spring

As I was taking Emma out to the car I noticed a flash of color out of the corner of my eye. It turned out to be the first Krokus, which will pop up usually in very early March but with the mild winter we had, it has decided to poke through and brighten the front lawn with its brilliance.

The Krokus were planted by a previous owner (10+Yeats ago) and now have been redistributed around the lawn by various wildlife such as chipmunks or absent-minded squirrels.

My joy at the first sign of Spring was tempered though, because a second sign of Spring had poked through the lifeless lawn to reveal itself. The Dandelion. This is a flower which fills me with a slight dread over the eventual lawn maintenance of digging, mulching, mowing, spraying and trimming.

Oh well, my exuberance lasted a whole 3 seconds on that one.

No comments: